Monday 11 June 2012

Getting Around Town

Since everything in so close here in the Netherlands the main mode of transportation for most people is on bicycles. The other reason why people get around on bikes is because gas here is so expensive. The cheapest I have seen gas prices here was €1.55 a liter. For those of you busting out your calculators to figure how much it would cost in your country, that is about $1.95 a liter in Australia and around $7.03 a gallon in America.

I recently acquired a bike from someone that works for the club I'm playing for so I thought it would be fun to go on a little ride around town today. I was riding for about 30 minutes before I decided to turn around and head back to the apartment in fear that I would get myself lost and never be able to find my way home. My roommate Luke was telling my the road rules for bike riders. There are a lot more than you would think and if you don't follow them, apparently other bike riders get extremely unhappy. Such things like if you hear someone ring their bell behind you, move to the right of the lane also don't get caught riding on the wrong side of the bike lanes, or once again the other riders will of course, be extremely unhappy.

Just like cars on the road, the bike riders have their own special lanes as well as their own traffic lights. Its quite a novelty to see things like this since riding a bike back home is quite uncommon. I think the last time I rode a bike back home everyday would probably be back when I was in the 6th grade and I'd ride to my friends house to play Digimon and have Pokemon Card battles. It may take some time to get my bike endurance up, but at least it will be a fun way to stay fit and get around town.



Traffic lights for bike riders

No comments:

Post a Comment